Tuesday, July 16, 2013

The Kitchen - Paleo Coffee Creamer

  
If you are anything like me then there is one thing that you can't give up...coffee.  I love coffee and I am one of those who likes it very light and very sweet.  In fact I used to brew it really strong so I could add more coffee creamer and sugar into it!  When I got my Keurig I started buying the bold roast coffees and I still do even though now I sweeten with a little honey instead of the nearly 1/4 cup of sugar that I was adding.  The one thing I didn't want to give up was good coffee creamer.  When I started Paleo 6 weeks ago, I did just that.  I was using unsweetened coconut milk (the kind in the smaller cartons) to lighten it and if you have tried this then you know it just doesn't taste very good.  Then I stumbled upon this at a health food store and it's pretty good, but it still has a lot of ingredients in it that I am just not sure about.
 
When I ran out of this I decided to search Pinterest for a Paleo creamer that I could make at home and I found this one that I am going to share with you.  When you see the ingredients you are going to be like, "What?" but I am telling you, this is good and it's all paleo friendly. Here is where I found the original recipe.

Paleo Coffee Creamer

Ingredients:

  • 1 can full fat coconut milk (make sure it says First Pressing on it)
  • 1 organic egg
  • 2 Tbsp. melted coconut oil
  • 2 Tbsp. honey
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1/2 - 1 tsp. almond extract (although you could really use any flavor you like, peppermint would be good!)


Instructions:

  1. Combine the egg, honey and coconut milk in a blender or food processor and mix thoroughly.
  2. The the blender or food processor running slowly add in the coconut oil.
  3. Add in you flavorings and pulse until combined.
  4. Pour into a jar and enjoy!

I used a food processor because I burned out my blender making Paleo Mayo!  I think next time I am going to try my Kitchenaid Mixer and see if it whips up a little more.  This needs to be stored in the fridge and since it has the coconut oil in it, it will thicken up as time passes.  I am the only one using it in my house and this lasted me a week, but I probably use more than I need to!  I like that it's a little frothy and it has a really nice flavor.  If you like cinnamon try adding a pinch of that to it.  

Now, the raw egg...at first I was skeptical about this, but I used organic and I haven't had any weirdness from the raw egg.  Here is the purpose of the egg, from what I understand the lecithin in the raw egg kind of "holds" it all together and keeps the oil from separating from the milk.  

So give it a try if you are looking for something Paleo friendly to put in your coffee. I know that I won't be going back to the other processed stuff!

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this. I'm currently "primal" and wondering if I have the discipline to take it a step further and give up dairy -- maybe for a month, to see how I feel.

    So far the answer has always been "no" because I can't imagine giving up half-n-half in my morning coffee.

    I might never "go paleo" but am bookmarking this page, in case I do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dairy is the one thing I haven't given up since starting a paleo, I just can't seem to be parted from cream, cheese and ice-cream!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am certain that I don't have allergy issues with Dairy....my problem is that most of the dairy I like also contains sugar, so it's easier for me (right now anyway) to just give it up entirely! I think at some point I will be adding some cheese back in because at times I do miss cheese...

      Delete
  3. I have been trying to figure out what to put in my coffee besides non-dairy creamer and this is just the answer! I do love my half-n-half and I'm not a strictly paleo eater so I have no aversion to using dairy, but I wondered what paleo and other food-conscious people were putting in their coffee. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How long is this creamer typically good for? I'm unsure due to the raw egg!

    ReplyDelete

We ♥ our peeps and it’s a rare day that you won’t hear from us if you leave a message! Talk with ya soon!!

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS