Tuesday, June 11, 2013

The Kitchen - Going Paleo? This girl is!

So, I know that you are used to me posting book reviews, but this is a blog that is ordinarily a combination of many things.  Heather has been taking a little break from blogging and I haven't really had much time with work to post more than a couple reviews a week.  It's the summer now and I am off work until school starts again so I thought that I would give you a little peek into the rest of my life.  We don't really have anything in The Kitchen section of the blog so I am going to take care of that today!

If you are online at all chances are you have heard the term Paleo at some point recently.  I know I was introduced to it awhile back and thought "there is NO way I can do that", but you know what?  I was so wrong!  I have been on a weight loss roller coaster for nearly 20 years now, with most of my time being on the up and not very much down.  Every couple of years I think "this is going to be the year that I lose it for good", but it never is and that kinda sucks!  This January I entered into a Biggest Loser type contest with a group of ladies that I work with and while I didn't win I did lose nearly 20 pounds in 9 weeks.  I was exercising nearly every day and I felt good.  Then came Spring Break and we were off a week, we started up another round when we came back, but I never really got back in my weight loss groove and for the next 8 weeks I just gained and lost the same 4 pounds over and over again.  Long story shorter, I didn't win that round and I didn't really lose any weight in that 8 weeks.  Now school is out and after my mini vacation I stepped on the scale and was up 4 pounds from my lowest weight so far this year.  I am going to be 40 on my next birthday in March of 2014 and my goal is to be more healthy than I have been in the past 20 years.  I know that the only way I can do that is to change my terrible eating habits.  **At this point, while I won't tell you my weight, I feel the need to mention that the 20 pounds I have lost is just a small portion of what I ultimately need to lose. I still have nearly 100 pounds to go!**  



Thus the introduction to Paleo. Here is a graphic I found on Pinterest that pretty well sums up the gist of Paleo


The idea is to be wholly organic, which at this point, we are not.  This is due mostly to the fact that here in the area where I live it's not always readily available and some of what is is terribly expensive.  So, I do organic when it's feasible for me to do so.  

My husband and I made the switch to Paleo a little over a week ago and there has not been one minute since then that I wanted to quit.  I feel better and I am starting to get over the "lack of sugar" hump!  We are not 100% Paleo, I would put us at about 90% at this point.  Mostly where we stray has to do with beverages.  I love the Diet Green Tea with Blackberry from Sonic and I probably drink 4 of those a week.  It's sweetened with Spenda which is a no no on Paleo.  I also haven't switched to paleo approved dressings on my salad.  It's hard to find one when we go out, which isn't often.  Other than those things we are true to the above chart.

Honestly, I haven't read all the science behind why this works or is good for you.  If I want to know about certain foods I will just google to find out why I can't eat them.  All of what I have read makes perfect sense to me though.  I just know that I am eating foods that are good for me and I don't miss the things that I am not supposed to eat!

The key for me has been preparation.  I have been prepping all my veggies ahead so when I am ready to use them I don't have to do much to them.  This also helps cut down on the amount that goes bad and gets tossed.  I have been having a blast finding new ways to cook things and that's something I hope to start sharing here in The Kitchen section of the blog.  If you are in Pinterest I have a board started where I have been collecting recipes to try, you can follow that {HERE}.



I am going to leave you with this today, but I will be back with some helpful gadgets and some of my favorite recipes and stuff in the days to come.  Also, if you have been "going" Paleo I would love to hear how you are doing on it so drop me an email anytime or leave a comment here on the blog!


2 comments:

  1. I, like you, have been yo-yo-ing with weight, but mine is more like 30 plus pounds! Ugh! And I'm only 5 feet tall, so that's a lot. I made the Pumpkin Granola, not even knowing what Paleo is until after I made it. I love it. I also love bread! and beans, like chili! I should give Paleo a good try, though, because being healthy is so important, especially at 53 yrs of age. Thanks for sharing. I will be following your board on Pinterest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the link to your Pinterest board, I've just clicked to follow it. I am not Paleo, but am now back on a "Primal" diet (grain- and sugar-free, like paleo, with eggs/dairy allowed and I don't have to give up wine or coffee) for the third time. I can't say I love eating this way (hence "back on"), and I'm not losing weight, but hot flashes vanish and I sleep sooooo much better, and my brain doesn't go into a fog for most of the afternoon the way it used to. Those are wonderful things.

    ReplyDelete

We ♥ our peeps and it’s a rare day that you won’t hear from us if you leave a message! Talk with ya soon!!

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS