Saturday, December 22, 2012

About us - My Christmas Prayer.


I am not a writer even though I blog and have a book.  I wish I was, or even maybe a poet… because my words will never do right by such a person.  Anne Marie Murphy was an angel. A soul so sweet, as other should only strive to be so humble, so compassionate.  I never met this woman, but I have met many others that show her beauty and I am most honored to know them.  These are the kind, gentle souls who teach our special needs children their school lessons.  They teach them that stranger can be safe.  Teach them that they are welcomed and even loved.  Always excepted.

I couldn’t tell her story to my husband and my oldest son tonight without crying through it and they couldn’t listen to it without their own tears.  To trust your children’s school, faculty, and teachers with your most prize possession; is trust like no other, to a parent.  Then to trust your child’s school, faculty, and teachers with your special needs child… who cannot express his exacerbated fears, concerns, or anxieties about them with you… is a path that can humble a person to their knees.

When Adam Lanza’s rampage at Sandy Hook was over, authorities found 6-year-old Dylan Hockley “wrapped in the arms” of Murphy, his special-education teacher, the child’s parents said in a statement.

"We take great comfort in knowing that Dylan was not alone when he died,” they said. “Dylan loved Mrs. Murphy so much and pointed at her picture on our refrigerator every day."

I can’t even write this post without fat tears of sadness rolling down my cheeks, but mostly… it’s for the  deep appreciation I have (my family has) for her and her touch of comfort that she gave a to such a small, truly innocent, child at the end of his life that makes this story so real to us.  This human was such a gift to this world, that I felt I needed to stand by her in some way and say… Thank you.  Thank you for loving our special needs children and comforting their silent words with your huge, safe heart.



This Christmas we will remember you, Anne Marie Murphy, you were my families Helper!!
We will always, remember you & pray for your family and those of Sandy Hook!



2 comments:

  1. Oh my...this is a beautiful post. I would imagine that knowing how these two were found brings great comfort to both their families. God Bless the helpers in our lives!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this beautiful story. I haven't been reading about the shootings because it makes me too upset, but I'm glad I read this. I have a little sister with Down Syndrome and a big sister who works with autistic kids in the schools. I know a little about what these educators give to their special needs students. Anne Maries's sacrifice is a literal symbol of what hundreds of special needs educators do everyday- they give themselves to their kids. God Bless Anne Marie and God bless all others like her.

    ReplyDelete

We ♥ our peeps and it’s a rare day that you won’t hear from us if you leave a message! Talk with ya soon!!

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS