Tuesday, August 31, 2010

quilt as you go |quilt-along| { ROUND TWO! }

i am more than a little excited to announce the infamous... quilt as you go quilt-along is starting again with a ROUND TWO and in addition to that... i'll be running it! i have longed to try this quilting concept, but as life an sometimes go... i wasn't able to participate the first time out. so, i contacted miss Penny at sewtakeahike and begged her to do another round... and she kindly offered to hand her baby over to me to head up the 2nd round ( here's to doin ya proud Penny! ) :) So... here's the deets for ROUND 2!! there will be two different formats of the concept { quilt as you go }... one will be the traditional take on the block/ quilt preformed by miss penny found here in round 1. the second will be my take on the incredible opportunity i see with this method to practice a multitude of Free Motion Quilting styles. Each participant in the quilt-a-long can choose from either or both methods... that's the beauty of this funky style!! this endeavor really is meant for the novice quilter to the most experienced... so no worry about feeling this may be above you!!! just grab your big girl panties ( or boys ) and jump in!! it's gonna be a party! For those who are unfamiliar with the traditional quilting { quilt as you go } concept... miss penny has provided a little back drop on how this phenomenon came about... Someone from one of my quilting bees requested blocks that looked like the quilt out of the book "Patchwork Style". I immediately referenced the book, and found the style to be right up my alley since I love patchwork. I had never before thought I would make a quilt larger than lap-sized, but I started dreaming of making huge quilts, since I believed that quilting as you go would lend to that. I wasn't convinced though that the method to sew the blocks together would be best, so I did a couple of experiments (you can read about that here). In the end, the method presented in the book seemed the quickest, and the final result was about the same. I made a few blocks and posted them on sewtakeahike and started getting several requests for a quilt-along. I just love this QAYG method! I may someday break down and pay a long arm quilter to quilt one of my quilts, but until then, this QAYG method is working great for me!
***********************************************************
now to introduce you to the newest method...
i recognized that with the traditional method that you were in essence building a wonky log cabin block& quilt once they were pieced together. so, i thought... HHmmm.... this style of piecing and quilting a block and THEN joining them would also generate the possibility to practice Free Motion Quilting abundantly within a safe size ( since, i think we can all get scared from trying new methods because of the fear of ruining an entire quilt or have seam rip the entire hot mess we made! )
So why not... make a wonky log cabin first, then sandwich my block ( which are 15" square ) with batting and a simple/ inexpensive muslin backing??? then the sky's the limit... quilt away kids... any method you'd like that you never felt you could try before due to the size of your projects.
it's perfect, really... you're making a quilt while feeling out all the quilting methods you've been too scared to try... you're not making mini's, not making pot holders, or pillows... but a quilt! and there is NO reason to be scared of the ending size either... because your quilt will be "quilted" as you go!!!.... with each block bringing a different adventure!!
i sure hope you all are as excited as i am! not only will we be creating a major piece of functional art... but, we'll be feeding each other creative food by uploading all of are block quilting images to the Flickr group ( thus bringing unlimited quilting designs to each other! )
and... as an addition to the hype of this project... i will be facilitating a { fabric strip Swap } too... the funkiest quilts are those which have a massive selection of fabrics within them! this offer is unfortunately, only for round 2 participates though. ;)
Kick off for this project will be September 8th. i'll see you then with more info, goals, and fun examples!!
XO, Heather

56 comments:

  1. what a wonderful concept!! i LOVE it!!! it would be so fabulous to make a king size quilt and not have to worry about quilting it in the end!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. o.
    m.
    g.

    I am so all over this. LOVEEEEEEE the QAYG idea ... I was sad I missed out on round 1 I WON'T miss out on Round 2. And with one of my favorite girls heading it up, to boot. ;]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah... been wanting to do this but got sidetracked from moving...can't wait to see everyone's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never joined a quilt-along, but I am so up for this! I need some extra motivation for charity quilts and not having a monster in need of quilting makes this even better! Thanks, Heather!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm definitely in. I tried a quilt as you go project recently and really enjoyed it so I'm up for another. I love the incentive of seeing others' quilts growing around the world too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I definitely need to sign up for this... even though I'm doing my own quilt along at the moment! gah!

    But since my machine is not the best (that's an understatement) at quilting, the little sizes are perfect. :)

    Hooray! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. very good explanation! now I know almost everything. One issue worries me: how the blocks are joined together?

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds great! I quilt small things myself...but to quilt a big quilt has been a goal for awhile...so this is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope I can join in but start late as I'm leaving town tomorrow for almost 3 weeks! I've been wanting to experiment with some other types of quilting besides stipling & this would be a perfect chance to just go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've heard of quilt as you go before, but never fully understood how to attach the individual pieces once they're all made. So I may just have to partake in this awesome quilt along. :)

    Can't wait!
    ~Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds like the best way yet to conquer my "Free Motion fear"!
    I'll be ready and waiting Sept 8th!
    Thanks, Heather!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now this sounds like something I am interested in!! Thank you for starting this!! I have much to learn as I have never done a quilt as you go but have always wanted to try!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't wait! I'm actually a little terrified of free motion quilting, so this would be a great opportunity to conquer that fear. I even have some wonky log cabin blocks set aside from another project--guess I'll get to use them now!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kerri I love your idea! Maybe a queen size would be best for me though. I have been having issues on my machine with quilting a twin at the moment. I have switched to a heavy duty needle and made sure I have my top elevated with two tables. I have even held the front up as it goes through the machine. Best yet (seems to be working for now!) I am trying to keep my hands on the top and guide it through with a little more force than normal. Any thoughts on gloves Heather?

    Any who, guess you are wondering why I am going on and one---well I think this Round 2 Quilt Along will give me the definite break I need from that TWIN QUILT TOP mess I am in:) That is all!

    ReplyDelete
  15. you must have read my mind!!! I have been wanting to make a quilt for my queen-size bed and this will be perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is fabulous, and I'm looking forward to joining up for the fun & inspiration. I've been wanting to learn this method for a few years.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm in! I was sorry I missed the first round - so glad I get another chance.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have heard and seen some tutorials on that here in Brasil, but never felt the need of making one, but after reading your post written with so much passion, here I am!!!!I'm in!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yippee Skipee! I have read about this method but never tried it. I am so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  20. i am in! i missed out on the 1st round and i look forward to participating this time. i could really use some practice on FM quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm in! This will be my first quilt-along and my first QAYG - I can't wait!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. count me in ~ love your idea for trying new quilting techniques! thanks heather for starting round 2!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Glad there's a round two! I started it a couple weeks ago and haven't been able to finish. Now, I can contemplate finishing, although I'm never good at keeping up!

    ReplyDelete
  24. i am in and will be encouraging my modern quilt guild to participate as well!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh, man! I wanted to do this so badly the first time, but just had too many things going and never got started.... I need another project like a hole in the head, but as my daughter used to say, "But, Mommy, it's soooo tempting!"

    ReplyDelete
  26. This sounds like fun! Count me in.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am quite new to quilting at all, just made three, but this sounds intresting and fun. I am in!
    Greets from Germany,
    Miriam

    ReplyDelete
  28. This sounds awesome! It's scrappy September over here, so this project fits right in. I really wanted to participate the first time around, but life just got busy! I love the idea of trying free motion quilting on this as well--also something I've been really wanting to try.

    ReplyDelete
  29. YESSSSS! Let me learn something new, and let me make something large! Hooray! I am in!

    ReplyDelete
  30. This sounds so interesting! For the Free Motion option, after you you sandwich the block with inexpensive muslin and quilt as you go, will you then still use a backing fabric after you have assembled all the blocks and stitch in the ditch?

    ReplyDelete
  31. it's not like I don't have a bazillion projects already, but I'm going to give this a go! sounds like fun to me and I actually have a 12' square I made yesterday that would work for this kind of quilt! thanks for being the leader Heather!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm in! Sounds like so much fun and I missed out on Round 1!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I want to join in! This sounds like so much fun! I did not do round 1. Do I join that flickr group or are you creating a new one for round 2?

    ReplyDelete
  34. Gosh dam it this sounds like fun! I particapated the firsttime around and enjoyedthe whole process. A great way to practice some free motion quilting. I don't need another project but what the heck.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I'm so excited! I missed round 1 too! And I was just telling Penny I have a load of strips already cut and ready to go! Yeahhaw!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love quilt as you go! I need a new quilt for my bed.. it is about to get cold! What other way could I make a queen size quilt without being so cumbersome!?!
    Great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Where do I sign up! This sounds perfect for the ideas I have had spinning in my head. It will be like a giant sampler....gotta come up with a name for my quilt. Something like "visions" hmmm?

    ReplyDelete
  38. I, too, don't need another project, but I think I'm gonna have to do this! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  39. i had the same idea to make a quilt using all different kinds of fmq as a quilt along! can't wait to see what you come up with! i just love Penny's first quilt with all the log cabins, too. it's stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  40. This sounds like such a great idea! Of course I give two thumbs up to anything that gets people over the free motion quilting hump. I'm trying to decide if I can do this along with the quilt along I'm doing. It sounds fun and so does a strip swap!

    ReplyDelete
  41. This will be my first quilt along, and I'm very excited to start! I have tried a few quilt as you go squares, but I haven't gotten very far, and I'm thinking about trying some different quilting techniques! Thanks for starting another quilt along!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Hi. This is so great and the excitement is really uplifting! However, back to earth; I started a Lynne Edward's (British lady) huge &*^ project and it requires that you sew the blocks together and then hand sew the sashing and batting. This I do not like so I have put this project down. I read Sewtakeahike's 1st round real fast and did not grasp it, I know; I must go back and re-read her method. I am wondering about yours though! So, hey, I might join too and just use up these 10 out of 20 blocks that I started (LE's Advanced Quilting project) and get this done! Hey, ho, let's go!

    ReplyDelete
  43. This quilt along sounds like a wonderful way to do a bigger quilt! I would love to do the strip swap tooj! Can't wait to start!

    ReplyDelete
  44. WooHoo!

    I'm REALLY excited about trying this & have gotten some new fabrics lately that will work perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Thanks so much for the invite! I am so intimidated by quilting anything bigger than a wall hanging so this will be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  46. I look forward to trying this method out with you. Thanks for the invite.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Would love to join but may get a little behind for awhile-making a wedding dress for my daughter for November. After that-I hope to do fun things like this!!

    ReplyDelete
  48. such fun - can't wait to see people's creations with all that experimental free motion, too! Thanks for hosting this!

    ReplyDelete
  49. I am really looking forward to the quilt along and also to the swap. I LOVE others' scraps!! I so badly need to add to my stash - can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  50. SO how do I sign up?? I am not sure how this quilt will get put 2gether but I'm sure there is someone out there that can explain it to me I'll go back over to the other site and re-read it and maybe it will become clear. sign me up!!

    ReplyDelete
  51. oh yeah I would like to do the swap also. and i did go and re-read the way that sewtakeahike did hers. Not sure I like that way. but did re-read alamode's and like her thinking much better.
    thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  52. Thank you so much for the invite to join in on this round of the quilt along!! I am soooo excited *grin*. I found out about the first one while it was running and thought it was such a neat project and I can't wait to see what you share tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  53. Hi, I love this idea. I just found this by reading Crazymomquilts blog site. I would love to join is it too late, would also like to do the strip swap also if room.

    Thank you, Kay

    ReplyDelete

We ♥ our peeps and it’s a rare day that you won’t hear from us if you leave a message! Talk with ya soon!!

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS