Wednesday, August 18, 2010

HHhmmm... yep... i like it!

well... this was truly an interesting adventure! i was asked by accquilt to try their { GO! fabric cutter } system out and write up a little post describing it to my friends... i was really excited to try one of these babies out since way back in the rag quilt days... ( they have a rag quilt die that could have possible saved me from carpal tunnel from all the snipping i was doing! LOL )... but they were spendy and i wasn't sure they worth the money... well... my opinion is that they ARE! now i don't say that lightly... in fact when i chose my dies to try, i chose dies that created blocks that i would have turned around and ran screaming from, hence the drunken path adventure!

here it is in all it's glory... it's really not that large and easily portable ( even though some of the dies are large, they're not heavy ) i know there was some concern about wasting fabric with this system, but it occurred to me very quickly... that if your fabric is cut into 1/4 yard cuts... you really don't. plus i think you'll see a little scrap is waaaaaay worth the end result!

haha!! tip though... uuumm... yeah... you should definitely iron your fabrics before running them through your machine. ;) or the little helpful notch guide the cutter gives you to line up your block with... will have a new friend! but the reality is... it took me longer to pick out complimentary fabric then it did to crank them out on this system! it's super quick!! for sheba!!

here's where life got interesting ( for me anyways... LOL )...

can i just say... this quilt pattern scared the hell out of me!!! for sOOoo many reasons, but mostly because i was just SURE... i would cut out my blocks wrong in the beginning and then... i would sew them together creating a hot mess... considering it would only be a guess ( at best ) where to start the pinning at.... but this clever duck die... gives you these little helpful notches to match up your curves after it creates perfect templates!! who knew???

this is my first block and attempt at this pattern ( for reals!!! ) i think this maybe a machine for quilting dummies!! LOL i just don't know how anyone could get this block wrong using it! seriously... i was MORE than impressed by this system. anything that gets me over my crazy fear of curves is more than worth the money to me!! now... i will admit, that i had my doubts if the machine & die would work, so i didn't put a whole lot of thought into my fabric choices ( i thought i'd probably be throwing out a bunch of fabric in multiple attempts to get it right!! )... but after i realized, i could do this! i switched gears and started designing a more ( heather ) quilt... here's a sneaky peaky! a little more modern and a little more me ;)

and yes! i finally got to my new kitchen towels too!! as soon as i saw the new Metro Kitchen at Hawthorne Threads... i quickly bought some to add splashes of color to my 50's style kitchen. i knew i needed patchwork and i also decided ( with having boys ) i REALLY needed more absorbent towels then the typical kitchen ones... so, i bought nice bathroom hand towels instead. i lOVE them and they are soOOoo functional!!

Here's to another crafty week!!

XO, Heather

38 comments:

  1. WOW, I have to get me one of these...

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the "more modern" quilt you got going! The drawing is rad! I'm gonna have to nake that from you and make one for me!

    the dish towels are fantastical! Love what you came up with!

    Accuquilt- I need you badly!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your kitchen towels - I've been going with either bath hand towels or linen towels in my kitchen for a while - either seems to work better than the cheesy kitchen towels!

    I'm lusting after your AccuQuilt, but just can't justify buying one for myself. So I keep trying to win one, or maybe my hubby will get me one for Christmas! Can't wait to see your "more Heather" quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your kitchen towels -- awesome!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. the accuquilt looks like a DREAM!! now i want one!!

    LOVE your new kitchen towels!! now i know what i'll be doing with mine! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've definitely sold it to me!!!
    I'm especially excited about the notches!!! and will be saving those pennies!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your drunkard's path blocks! Both, your test-blocks and the quilt you're going to make.
    If I could, I would buy a Go! cutter ASAP ~ unfortunately this is out of question right now...
    I would definitely try the Double Wedding Ring dies that will be released soon...what a great thought not to worry about odd shaped pieces...*sigh*...this will have to wait until my quilting budget isn't swallowed up by batting & backing purchases *lol*.
    Thanks for sharing/giving a review...!
    Maybe Accuquilt also wants a European/German reviewer? *lol* - a girl can dream, can't she?
    One stupid question: what's the name of the 'bubbles' fabric? (I don't mean the Amy Butler print, but the colorful bubbly print) ~ it's darling!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ...oh, I forgot to say...eh...write that I really, really like your new kitchen hand towels...!

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1st -- your towels are awesome! So cute, Heather!

    Thanks for the great write up. The AccuQuilt seemed like it had lots of potential, but I'm a little wary of gadgets sometimes, because they don't always live up to expectations. Sounds like a winner. I have to admit, I kept thinking, that quilt does not look like Heather at all, then read your thinking. Yes, I would have been prepared for kits if missteps too. Can't wait to see the more "Heather" version put together.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your quilts! I recently purchased an Accuquilt and now I am finding that I "need" all these cute dies! The drunkard's path never appealed to me before, but now I "have" to have it!

    And I love your towels. I also use hand towels for kitchen towels. They work so much better!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh gosh, I want an AccuQuilt so bad - it'd be a lifesaver!

    Also, I love your kitchen towels - they're awesome. I always want to make things like that but I know I'd be upset if they got ruined!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I so love those kitchen towels. I have been debating back and forth on metro kitchen. You just pushed me over to the "buy now" side. I thank you. My paypal account, uh, not so much...

    ReplyDelete
  13. You just gave more props to an already awesome machine!!! I hope I win one on the blogs that are giving them away:) I thought about using bathroom towels for the kitchen. Now I might just have to go ahead DO IT!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope to get one of those gadgets one of these days!! I like what you've done with the towels, too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think you are going to be one curvy gal from now on Heather!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, the circle block turned out great! Impressive! Sounds like a cool system, wish it was in my budget. I love the kitchen towels, what a great idea to spice up some more absorbent bathroom towels, I could really use that with my 2 little devils :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome info on the Accquilt. Thank you. I've seen others but no one mentioned the fact that also cuts matching tabs like that. Too cool.

    ReplyDelete
  18. i'm glad you like your accuquilt! i'm making a quilt from the same die... but very different colors! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Towels are awesome! I've seen a few Accuquilt Go cutters given away but no one has demonstrated the drunkard's path die yet. That is the die I would get first because those circles are just too aggravating! Yours came out beautifully! Now I'm starting to foam at the mouth....
    ♥Duff

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh I hope to someday have one!! And those towels are fabulous! I love the bright red!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love those towels!! And I soooo want a Go cutter, I have been wanting one since it came out!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have been drooling over the Go for a while now but alas I just can not afford one at the moment. Some day... hopefully before I get carpal tunnel from both quilting and my job lol

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think perhaps I could have done with one of these babies for the single girls ;)

    Looking forward to seeing more of the quilt you got going on there.... & as for those kitchen towels - in love I tell ya!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the projects you have done...what a great opportunity to "test drive" the Accuquilt.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh is only they weren't so hideously expensive here!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I've been wondering if those accuquilts work! i love your blocks and those kitchen towels are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  27. cool little machine...imagine all the rag quilts you could crank outta that thing?? hee hee

    ReplyDelete
  28. oh those towels are so so cute, have to get that fabric for sure. And the die cutter looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  29. adorable towels! I like the circle quilt and the more modern one coming. I am beginning to want that Accu-cutter.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Awesome! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Alright, people are so right. Your music rocks! Now I just need to move my laptop so I can jam while painting that damn bathroom!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love this blog post so much. Laughing on the freakin' floor!! I'm deathly afraid of curves as well!!
    :)
    Raven

    ReplyDelete
  33. Your blocks are beautiful and I can see how the GO made it so much easier!

    Great job!

    SheilaC

    ReplyDelete
  34. In case there are people out there who can't afford the Accu Quilt, just wanted to mention that the Sizzix Big Shot can cut fabric too. They have teamed up with Westminster Fibers to create quilt shape cutting dies. The cutting machine is only $100, the dies are like $20 each. Glad you liked the Accu-Quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  35. what a fab post on the cutter very honest and in depth.... best write up yet :)) ps loving the second quilt top!! x

    ReplyDelete
  36. It's amazing and so are you! Wow, you did a lot in a short time. Now, how did you ever live without one???

    ReplyDelete
  37. wow...that circle quilt is great! I just learned how to sew around the curve too...so fun...but I didn't get to use a machine like the accuquilt!! looks great! :) I did try this machine once at my local quilt shop for cutting 2.5" strips...wow...saved tons of time! :) Looks like you are having a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete

We ♥ our peeps and it’s a rare day that you won’t hear from us if you leave a message! Talk with ya soon!!

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS