Thursday, February 11, 2010

Oh, Fransson... you clever duck!

In my { Sew New To Me Virtual Quilting Bee } this month Faith - Fresh Lemons decided she would like blocks from Oh, Fransson's "Map of the States" and I will admit... I was a little intimidated! Elizabeth is VERY good at her designs... however, I am NO WHERE near as precise as she and I thought I might really mess it up! But, I shall never doubt Elizabeth again! I was surprised just how simple this block went together and how much fun it was designing it... here's a little looky lou of how it all went down... I drew out the size Faith was wanting her end block and added in my " states " Then I separated Faith's fabric ( Amy Butler ) into color piles with matching colored pencils I decided to add in some Aqua Kona... cause I like aqua and solids ;) And... I just colored in my " states " Here's where things got interesting for me... never paper pieced before... I had no idea how clever freezer paper is to work with and how you can basically fussy cut your fabrics... UUummm... FUN! Then... Ta Da!! A fun little block for my bee partner! I sure hope she likes my version of the pattern... I really had fun with it! On a personal note... it's my youngest son's 10th Birthday today and I'm off to the Lego Store!!! Have a great Thursday... I know I will ;) XO, Heather

9 comments:

  1. Love it! Oh Fransson is the bomb, isn't she? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks great! I love the addition of the aqua solid too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your block looks great! I fell in love with Elizabeth's map of the states quilt, but when she posted the tutorial, it looked like too much too much time and effort. You have inspired me to give it a try -- if only I didn't already have about 50 "must dos" on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The block looks great!
    Happy Birthday to your son! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never used freezer paper before! It intimidates me lol!

    You block is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't that a fun block? It took me ages to make, but I really enjoyed it! the freezer paper is so clever!

    Dang I used to LOVE legos when I was little... hope you had fun at the store!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your block looks great! I like it that its just wonky enough but not too wonky. Hope your son has a great birthday. By the way, I liked your last post, getting to know you a little better. I've been thinking about posting some pictures of my family too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your block looks great Heather! And a very happy birthday to your little one!

    ReplyDelete

We ♥ our peeps and it’s a rare day that you won’t hear from us if you leave a message! Talk with ya soon!!

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS