Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Cathedral Windows... Easy Peasy!

I'm terrible giddy over the fact that The Pillow Talk Swap has started up again for round 2!! I've been trying a bunch of new techniques in preparation for this round... but call me crazy... I think my (secret) partner would not mind a cathedral pillow coming their way... hehehe... So... I thought it would be a bit silly not to show you all just how easy they are! Now let me be completely clear... in no way did I make up this strategy, pattern or am I an expert... I'm just showing you how I roll with it ;) Now my fav tutorial for this pattern... is this beauty... http://hyena-in-petticoats.blogspot.com/2007/08/cathedral-window-quilt-tutorial.html And my most helpful friend Lisa was very clever in her cathedral Window block starting measurements to allow for various pillows sizes... {Per Lisa - I went with 9" squares... my pillow was probably a 16 x 16. For a perfect 20" pillow, you need 13.5 squares to start with. (The final square size is about 1/3 of the starting square.) 9 of those will get you an 18" pillow.} Yes... a very clever duck she is... indeed! So here we go... I wanted a 20 X 20 inch pillow for my partner, so my template (made from poster board) is a 13.5 inch square Then I cut my Kona (coal) into 15 X 15" squares about 3/4 inch past my template (for my overage to wrap around my template... BTW - I cut them into strips { 15 x 44 inches when working with yardage } so, I can make more squares at one time :) Then I stacked the strips ( 15 x 44 inch ) together, placed my template on top and cut squares (again with about 3/4 inch overage, so each side will have the same amount of overage) or you can simply cut 15" cuts, but remember when wanting your ending squares a different size... you're going to want the 3/4" overage... This left squares... see... super easy so far (wink, wink) Now... no worries that it's a bit wrinkly... just give it a quick iron job ;) Okay, next place your template on top of your Kona (with your sides even of overage or as even as your cut will allow... if it's off a bit it's still okay) and iron your corners down over the template... this will hold your template in place! Then fold over the sides of the overage on each side & iron them Then take out your template Fold it in half & iron it And in half again & iron it... see.. still easy! Here comes the fun part... now, open it back up! Does this remind you of those fortune tellers in grade school??? LOL Fold one corner inwards toward your square & iron it Repeat that step all the way around until you have a smaller square Then do it again!... always ironing your folds You're left with this... a perfect little folded square (not really perfect, but it won't make a huge difference, so don't worry if the corners are not mitered perfectly) Now you just need 8 more of these for the front of your 20 X 20 inch pillow! See... this pattern is more origami than anything else! I'm off to go buy some more Coal colored Kona! This is the first stage of the Cathedral Pattern... once I have my 9 prepared squares... I'll show you how to sew them together... and please no one get nervous... it really is this easy all the way through! XO, Heather

Cathedral Windows Part two!

25 comments:

  1. I think I might make one for me right along with yours! No pressure, but looking forward to the next step! The coal color is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome. I'm inspired to try it, too ... especially in these bite-sized portions. Easy to follow along. Thanks!

    PS. I love, love, love your color selections ... of course, I AM a big fan of greys ... ; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this!!! Eager to see what happens next! Oh, and I also love your ironing board...similar to mine!!! Check it out here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm happy to see a step by step tute for the cathedral windows. I hope it IS this easy all the way through. I guess I don't get why you are cutting STRIPS 3/4" bigger and then cutting SQUARES. I think I got confused there. And when you fold the square in half and then half again you ironed it right?? Cuz your picture shows great creases at that point.
    Thanks so much! I can't wait to see your prints for the windows.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is wonderful..I have always been afraid of this pattern..how simple you've made it thus far. You're very talented.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heather, what a fun tutorial! I may just have to try this, I was thinking that my partner for the pillow talk swap might like a cathedral pillow. looking forward to the next installment! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is awesome! Can't wait for part 2

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey CJ! I went back and touched up the tutorial... I hope that makes more sense... sorry for the confusion... first tute here! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome Heather, this is definitely something I want to try out!

    Oh, and I already have some Kona Coal (it's my favourite) so I'm ready!

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a great tutorial!! i love that you are doing it in steps!! can't wait to see the rest!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't wait til I have some time to try this. Love the colors you've picked!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've read tutorials for cathedral windows before... none are this easy.

    I think I need to make some cootie catchers of fabric now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Heather thanks for the tute! I'll get to this myself someday when I finish the one hundred projects ahead of it lol!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I started a quilt of these a while back! The sewing is easy-I agree. But boy do I hate ironing all those squares! Maybe because it's a little warm in Hawaii to want to be ironing for long! (Oh-the trials & tribulations of living in Hawaii!) Anyway, I'm adding 2 more rows-about 22 more squares to iron, and I'll get a lap sized quilt that is actually pretty cool looking! I used a nice quality sheet set in an off-white for my squares-picked up from the reduced rack at Ross & my inserts are from my vast supply of Hawaiian prints! My husband likes it so that's a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I should probly tell you now that this is the pattern I am attempting with my awua and orange, but I am goint to attempt it with linen instead of kona. Risky I know, lets see how fruterated I get.!!

    Terri-

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Aaargh! I need another project like I need a hole in my head, but how am I supposed to resist this?!?! Especially with a huge piece of Kona coal just staring at me every day and taunting me to use it. You do make it look and sound easy; so what's one little pillow, right?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the tutorial...I'll try, too...sorry my English, I'm Brazilian..

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovin' it! That Kona in coal is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Heather, if you need more of that coal kona let me know, I have two yards left.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for making the clarifications!! I'm looking forward to 'the rest of the story'. :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. This looks cool. Love that you have the White Stripes on your player!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This tutorial has convinced me to try a Cathedral Window quilt! The link to Lisa's calculations appears to be broken; do you recall where I can find that?
    Thanks so very much; this is most exciting!

    ReplyDelete

We ♥ our peeps and it’s a rare day that you won’t hear from us if you leave a message! Talk with ya soon!!

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS